18 May White Water Canoe Clinic – June 15-17, 2018
The white water clinic will introduce you to canoeing whitewater and overnight camping along the river.
June 15-17, 2018
This Whitewater Canoe Weekend is the perfect opportunity for you to learn the paddling skills and safety techniques you need to enjoy paddling our wilderness rivers. The program is designed to provide excellent instruction in a relaxed and enjoyable setting on the Kootenay River.
Nipika and Black Feather have introduced thousands of paddlers to the fun and excitement of whitewater canoe tripping. We primarily teach a style of paddling designed to let you safely descend rapids in a loaded tandem tripping canoe. You’ll learn whitewater strokes, manoeuvers, safety as well as how to ‘read’ a rapid. With
whitewater skills, a whole new world of wilderness travel is open to you. After the clinic you’ll feel much more confident and ready to try one of our more challenging river expeditions. Many participants in our arctic expeditions take this clinic before their trip as a warm up and review.
This clinic is perfect for both beginner and experienced canoeists.
This trip on the Kootenay River will be using stable but responsive SOAR inflatable canoes.
Day 1 – Friday
2 pm arrival, session overview, equipment issuing, safety session. Flat water warm up on Nipika Pond set up camp by Kootenay River, dinner, camping overnight
Day 2 – Saturday
Breakfast at camp, shuttle to Kootenay picnic area, upstream of Nipika review whitewater paddling skills and manoeuvres practice manoeuvers while paddling class 1 and 2 whitewater picnic lunch, with session on safety and river running procedures paddling to campsite downstream of Nipika sent up camp and evening campfire optional session on ‘how to pack and what to take on a canoe trip’
Day 3 – Sunday
Warm up, review whitewater paddling strokes and manoeuvres, practice and review, river reading and scouting longer runs in class 2 and 3 whitewater linking maneuvers with coaching paddling to our take out at White River Bridge shuttle back to Nipika Resort 4PM wrap up & departure.
Guides – 5:1 ratio
• 2 nights camping on the Kootenay River
• tent accommodation (2 people per tent) or single supplement charge of $30.00
• Day 1 dinner to Day 3 lunch
• SOAR 2 person high quality inflatable canoes
• paddles, PFD’s, helmets etc (you may bring your own)
• kitchen / group tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc
•first aid, safety, rescue and repair kits
• shuttles between Nipika and the river on Day 2 and Day 3
What isn’t included?
• Personal clothing and gear – a recommended clothing & equipment list will be provided
• Travel between your home and Nipika – see page 6
• Optional shuttle between Calgary Airport and Nipika – $125 each way
• Any hotel accommodation or meals other than those listed above
• Souvenirs, purchases of a personal nature, personal phone calls etc.
• Any additional expenses or costs incurred as a result of delays to the trip caused by factors beyond our control – i.e. weather, water levels,flight delays, etc.
• Any costs associated with your emergency evacuation from the trip (recommended)
Early Bird Price: $550.00 + taxes
Regular Price: $575.00 + taxes
All meals and group equipment provided