18 May Whitewater Canoe Clinic – August 6-8, 2021
Posted at 16:43h in Multi-day Guided Adventures, Summer
A weekend clinic to introduce you to whitewater canoeing and backcountry camping.
Date: Friday, August 6 – Sunday, August 8, 2021
Nipika’s Whitewater Canoe weekend is the perfect opportunity to learn the paddling skills and safety techniques required to enjoy paddling wild rivers. It is designed to provide excellent instruction in a relaxed setting on the Kootenay River. Strokes, rescues, safety, and canoe-camping techniques are covered.
After the clinic you’ll feel much more confident and ready to try one of our longer river trips.
- Arrivals, session and equipment overview, and flatwater warmup on Nipika’s pond.
- Set up camp by the Kootenay River and eat dinner.
- Breakfast at camp and practice skills and maneuvers while paddling class 1 and 2 whitewater
- Picnic lunch
- Safety and river running procedures session
- Set up camp and dinner
- Evening campfire
- Review and practice river reading
- Paddle to take out at White River Bridge
- Shuttle back to Nipika for wrap up and 4pm departure
Guides – 5:1 ratio
• two nights camping on the Kootenay River
• tent accommodation (two people per tent) or single supplement charge of $30
• Friday dinner to Sunday lunch
• SOAR two-person, high-quality inflatable canoes
• paddles, PFDs, helmets, etc (you may bring your own)
• kitchen / group tarp, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc
•first aid, safety, rescue and repair kits
• shuttles between Nipika and the river on Saturday and Sunday
What isn’t included?
• Personal clothing and gear (a recommended clothing and equipment list will be provided)
• Travel between your home and Nipika
• Optional shuttle between Calgary Airport and Nipika – $125 each way
• Any hotel accommodation or meals other than those listed above
• Souvenirs, purchases of a personal nature, personal phone calls, etc.
• Any additional expenses or costs incurred as a result of delays to the trip caused by factors beyond our control – i.e. weather, water levels, flight delays, etc.
• Any costs associated with your emergency evacuation from the trip (recommended)